My little crafting world....


Hi all
I'm a complete craft addict! I have a small business called Surrey Crafts teaching craft workshops from my studio in Esher, Surrey and at venues around the country. I teach mixed media, decorative painting, card making and papercrafts, jewellery making and creative embroidery classes. If you'd like to find out more just leave a comment, or take a look at my other social media pages:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/surrey.crafts
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/surreycrafts/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/surreycrafts/
Crafty hugs & stuff
Suz

xx

Friday 28 February 2020

Repurposed Brandy Glasses for Andy Skinner's Creative Team

Today's project is soooo simple.  Anyone who knows me will know that I LOVE taking things destined to be thrown away and making something useful out of them. So good bye ridiculously oversized brandy glasses and hello plant bowls!!!
Hubby also knows me so well. He was in a bar at a golf club and they were chucking these out! He asked if he could have them and brought them home to me and says 'I wondered if you could use these for something'...well I like a challenge
I'd recently been to a little 'Victoriana' exhibition in the glass house at Wisely Gardens, where they used all sorts of household items for fabulous plant displays so that's where the inspiration came from.
I mixed the AMAZING quick grab glue 50/50 with water in a little plastic pot (which I will, of course, reuse) and literally brushed it on the glass with a wide flat brush. It stuck to the glass like glue! Hahaaa, but it did; it just stayed there, didn't run off and it stayed moist long enough for me to apply pieces of torn rice paper all around the bowl. And funnyily enough, it seemed to grab those pieces of rice paper super quickly (quick grab and all that!). It also dried completely clear and is really strong too!
 I used less than one A4 piece of Andy's rice paper for each glass. Once dry I went over the whole thing again with another coat of the glue, then some watered down chalky paint to lighten the papers and bring out the texture. The layers of rice paper and glue also strengthens the glass , which is handy as I'm quite clumsy.
I added a little compost into each glass, then popped a primrose plant on top - perfect fit! A great way to brighten up a dull day. If you've got odd glasses, why not see how you could repurpose them?
Thanks for looking.
Suz

2 comments:

  1. WOW, I have got to have a go at that Suz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous projwct in repurposing those glasses. Xx

    ReplyDelete