A year ago we had to take some bits to our local dump and recycle centre. While we were there I notice a sturdy little table had been thrown into the huge metal general rubbish container. It looked like there was nothing wrong with it! Because the container was almost full, I could just reach it. So pulled it out, had a look and knew I could do something with it.
Finally, after a year of sitting around (along with so many other potential projects!), I got it out and started to play. Here's how it ended up!
|And this is where it started.|
Two of the edges had some damage so I used texture past to even them up (not shown here). Once dry I painted the whole table top with Chalky Finish Vintage.
|I added a thick layer of Crackle Medium and let that dry overnight.|
|I painted over with Eternal Chalky Finish (white). The cracks were fantastic!|
|Next, lots of layering with Media Fluid Acrylics. I love the translucency of these and watered all of them down to make washes of colour. Yellow Iron Oxide to start.|
|Prussian Blue Hue. And you can still hardly see the fossils!|
Quinacridone Violet, and a teensy bit of Dioxazine Purple. The shapes are finally appearing.
|I repeated layer after layer of colour washes, concentrating the darker colours (less diluted washes) around the fossils to make them stand out.|
|I added a mixture of the Yellow Iron Oxide, some Raw Umber and a tiny bit of the Quin Violet to give a rusty edge and dabs in a few areas.|
|At this point, once I was happy with the base colours, I added a layer of Decoart Soft Touch Varnish. That way I sealed the paints before going onto the next step - and it would make it easier to wipe off the next layer if I didn't like it!|
|I Loved the effect when the light catches it! But still not finished!|
|I really hope you like my little rescued tabletable! Here is a (not very good) pic of the products used. |
Drop me a comment if you have any
Thanks for looking.