My little crafting world....


Hi all
I'm a complete craft addict! I have a small business called Surrey Crafts teaching craft workshops from my studio in Esher, Surrey and at venues around the country. I teach mixed media, decorative painting, card making and papercrafts, jewellery making and creative embroidery classes. If you'd like to find out more just leave a comment, or take a look at my Surrey.Crafts page on FB.
Crafty hugs & stuff
Suz

xx









Friday, 3 August 2018

You REALLY Should Have Called

How wicked do you feel when you genuinely forget to call that person you were supposed to call.....and you know they will make you feel REALLY guilty when you call them the next day? That's what this post is about.



Here's my latest post as part of Andy Skinners Creative Team. Using some of Andy's stamps and his lush 'so call me' kit plus a skull he let me have! DecoArt Paints, Stampendous Enamels an upcycled cake board (yum!) and a repurposed bracelet too.

 I used the amazeballs skull that Andy had given me, (he's got an online class on casting click HERE to see it) this had a gorgeous smooth finish and took paint beautifully. Using Grey paint to base, then Paynes Grey in all the hollows and also on the clock dial I used, then a wash of Quinacridone Gold as always! I also added Andy's 'dirty wash' to the paper clock numbers what come in the kit.


I mentioned this project started with a cake.....and this is the cake board I have up-cyled, I didn't take a pic beforehand as didn't think I'd use if for a blog project! It was from a delish caterpillar cake, lol.  I was working on a Passport Book which I've already blogged about - including colours used (see it here) and used this board just to brayer off paints (it was a green foil base, and I had washed it!) thinking the paints would add a nice texture. I really liked how it looked - so that's why I used it for this instead!


You can see in this pic I used two of Andy's stamps and white paint - but the images did really get a bit lost as I added different elements to the board!


I took the rings that are in the clock kit, put them into water for a minute and split them to make thinner rings. Gave them a coat of Cobalt Turqoise Hue.


 Once I'd done my stamping I added a layer of decoupage glue and stuck down the dial (with the numbers already stuck behind it) and two feathers - I'd worked out where I wanted to place them under the skull.
Next I added the skull, and laid out where I wanted the rings to go. 
I grabbed a few more feathers to place under the rings and glued them all down, you can see the glue still wet in this pic, but it dries clear, I trimmed off the really long feather tails.
I thought the feathers made the project looked a bit reminiscent of Native American Indian art so found a bracelet to take apart for it's discs....then decided to use the bracelet itself as the hanging part of the project. I painted both with the usual usty colours and then rubbed over with a sanding block to expose the raised areas.


I used a Stabilo All pencil around some areas of the rings, then added water to add depth and shading.
 Found a kinda spooky font on my laptop and typed out some words. Grunged with a dirty wash, edged with Paynes Grey and then Pyrol Red in random areas.
A few dried, rusty coloured flowers on the gap in the dial. Then Stampendous Embossing enamels added all around the edges. In the corners where I could add several layers, I used one of Andy's stamps from his Gothic Grunge set to add a bit of texture.

And here he is!
Thanks for looking!
Suz
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment