My little crafting world....


Hi all
I'm a complete craft addict! I have a small business called Surrey Crafts teaching craft workshops from my studio in Esher, Surrey and at venues around the country. I teach mixed media, decorative painting, card making and papercrafts, jewellery making and creative embroidery classes. If you'd like to find out more just leave a comment, or take a look at my other social media pages:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/surrey.crafts
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/surreycrafts/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/surreycrafts/
Crafty hugs & stuff
Suz

xx

Monday 25 August 2014

How to create the patchwork watercolour backgrounds

Hi all
Very excited to say I've been asked to be on the Oak House Studios design team for the next 3 months. Love Lynnda's spray inks and stamps so this is wonderful news!

The card sample below is one I used in my workshop on Saturday and uses the beautiful OHS Sunflower click here for details. There are two ways of creating the background; one uses squares of coloured tissue paper the other is to make your own coloured tissue paper using spray inks on recycled tissue paper from packaging - guess which we used! So once the paper is cut into squares you take a piece of card, must be thick enough to take water - so watercolour paperis good- spray it with water, lay down the tissue paper making a collage complely covering the paper. Keep spraying water on the back of the tissue paper and use a paint brush or your fingers to burnish the paper so that it completely makes contact with the card (otherwise you will get some white patches - though that can look cool). Leave to dry. Once dry the paper simply falls away leaving a beautiful pastel patchwork background that you can stamp on as usual.

Once I'd stamped the Sunflower I used Aquamarkers and dragged the colour down the petals with a waterbrush. To finish off I drew swirls around the stamp (to cover a mark!!) added cosmic shimmer glue to the middle and sprinkled on tiny small black sparkly gems.. For the mid layer I usedanother OHS stamp called the English Garden Words stamp, which worked a treat as a backgound. Details here. Great fun! Hope you like it, why not have a go yourself.
Suz xx

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful colours and loving the technique you have used, never heard of it before but may just have to have a go myself.

    ReplyDelete