My little crafting world....


Hi all
I'm a complete craft addict! I have a small business called Surrey Crafts teaching craft workshops from my studio in Esher, Surrey and at venues around the country. I teach mixed media, decorative painting, card making and papercrafts, jewellery making and creative embroidery classes. If you'd like to find out more just leave a comment, or take a look at my other social media pages:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/surrey.crafts
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/surreycrafts/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/surreycrafts/
Crafty hugs & stuff
Suz

xx

Tuesday 10 July 2018

Pink Ink Seahorse

Hi all
A quick post about a journal page I made for a challenge in JJMMMA's facebook group which was based on using a gorgeous image from Pink Ink Designs. 
I didn't take pics of steps as this was really just for fun, but here's how I made it...
On my journal page I layered and blended all the DecoArt Neon colours in the product pic below.
I then printed out the seahorse design from the FB page as per instructions and traced it onto the page 3 times. I did make slight alterations, especially to the eyes, and left off the swirls that were on the original image for speed.
I then used DecoArt Transluscent White which is a media fluid acrylic (forgot to put this in the product pic!) all around the images, and blended in the cobalt teal hue towards the outside of the page. A coat of the Matt Medium once dry, to seal the image. This way you can work on it more but have a chance to wipe things away more easily, and also it makes for great blending when you add the shading.

At that point the England quarter final against Sweden started....and so did a lot of doodling whenever things got exciting! This also explains why the black outline I drew around the seahorses kept getting thicker and thicker as I was constantly looking up and down from the telly. But I used that to my advantage as I then had a thick enough line to do some dotting in with the pink, white and yellow Posca pens! I had also made lots of paperclay seahorses from a mold, and I took two of the tiny ones and painted them with the yellow, pink and orange neons, and edged with a black pen before gluing.

I die cut almost all the shapes from the Sizzix thinlets set below just from thin copy paper- again while watching the footie, so ended up doing LOADS, lol. 
Glued them all down using the Matt Medium again. I then used a stabile all pencil to shade all around the images (the other thing I forgot to put in the pic!). Lastly I wanted to add a bit of depth to the coral/ foliage so I used a very diluted Phthalo Turquoise and dabbed around and in between areas, and going back over where I wanted it darker. I also then went over all the shading I'd done with the Stabillo All pencils as I wanted the shadows to blend with the background rather than be black. Going over the top with a wash worked really well.  Lastly a less diluted phthalo turquoise used all around the edges of the page to frame it and some around the edges of the coral. 

Thanks for looking. 
Products used in pic below.
Suz x
Here are the products I used, except the transluscent white fluid acrylic, and the Stabilo All Pencil.

1 comment:

  1. It's a great result. Just wish I could read all of the text.

    ReplyDelete