My little crafting world....


Hi all
I'm a complete craft addict! I have a small business called Surrey Crafts teaching craft workshops from my studio in Esher, Surrey and at venues around the country. I teach mixed media, decorative painting, card making and papercrafts, jewellery making and creative embroidery classes. If you'd like to find out more just leave a comment, or take a look at my Surrey.Crafts page on FB.
Crafty hugs & stuff
Suz

xx









Friday, 9 March 2018

Fabric Covered Dragonfly Notebook for the Craft Stamper Blog Challenge


Here is the finished fabric covered notebook I made for my entry to the March Craft Stamper Take It Make It Blog Challenge. And below is a quick explanation of the process. 
I've had the gorgeous 'Creepers and Crawlers' Illusionary Artist Stamp Set
by France Papillion since they were launched a few weeks ago, and finally had a chance to play with the dragonfly stamp from that set! 
I made a pocket sized, fabric covered notebook.  Frayed a piece of bandage (might also be called open weave cotton or something!) and a piece of hessian (burlap) and glued them onto the front using DecoArt Decoupage Glue. Once dry I added some pieces of torn paper (which was really a Christmas cracker hat!!!) again with the glue and then some crackle paste through a stencil.
While the paste was still wet, I added a little Stampendous glitter to it
just by lightly pushing it gently into the paste.
I set that aside to dry for a few hours.
 I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do with the dragonfly stamp from this set. I pulled out my old Angelina Fibres, and some parchment paper and inked up the stamp with black archival ink.
The stamp needs to be good quality grey rubber like this one for the next step which involves an iron.  I teased out and carefully placed some of the fibres over the stamp making sure the whole image was covered with them. 
Next I laid baking parchment in top of the fibres, and ironed over the top of the parchment with my craft iron until the black of the archival ink showed through the fibres. See pic above. I cut out the dragonfly image.
 I added some gold Media Fluid Acrylic paint to the crackle paste stars and the middle of the dragonfly. Then I added some diluted Phthalo Blue media fluid acrylic with a fine brush around the edges and wings of the dragonfly and also to the areas of the crackle paste. This really highlights the texture of the dried crackle and also makes the dragon fly appear more dimensional especially around the wings. Once everything was dry, I glued on the dragonfly . Final touch was to ink the edges of the book front with an archival ink pad. I used 'Forget me not'.
I hope you like it and have a play along with the challenge. There are some lovely stamps to be won!
Thanks for looking.
Suz
x
Products used:
France Papillion  Illusionary Artist Creepers and Crawlers Set
DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics in Phthalo Blue and Gold, plus Crackle Paste and Decoupage Glue
Archival ink pad in Forget me Not
Fabrics and a paper hat
Angelina Fibres (or my packaging called these DicroFibres)
 

10 comments:

  1. Swoon swoon swoon! Beauuuuuutiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Love the different textures you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this techniqu - thanks for sharing. Your project is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This ia magnificent. Thank you for sharing directions.I have some angelina fibers and was ready to throw it out. now i will now what to do. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this and now I need to find my angelina fibres lol. thank you for the inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete