My little crafting world....


Hi all
I'm a complete craft addict! I have a small business called Surrey Crafts teaching craft workshops from my studio in Esher, Surrey and at venues around the country. I teach mixed media, decorative painting, card making and papercrafts, jewellery making and creative embroidery classes. If you'd like to find out more just leave a comment, or take a look at my other social media pages:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/surrey.crafts
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/surreycrafts/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/surreycrafts/
Crafty hugs & stuff
Suz

xx

Sunday 21 May 2017

Dennis the Dragon

 

And here is finished Dennis the Dragon...a bit buckled, after all he is only on a bit of scrap cardboard, and I used a lot of wet products and watery washes. Maybe I'll have a go again some time on canvas.
Thanks for looking.
Suz
xxx

 
 
So at long last Dennis the Dragon is finished. And here's how I made him.



Just for a bit of fun one day, I grabbed a scrap piece of cardboard and started sketching a dinosaur head, as you do.
I applied crackle paint and sculpted it inside my sketch line using a pallet knife.
Once dry I started washing colour over him, but his skin was a bit thin in places, I wanted more texture, depth and crackle.  So  I applied a second layer in areas where it was too thin (and so very tiny crackles).
This dried leaving a brill 3D effect of big peeling cracks which were prefect for Dennis.
I applied washes of watered down Yellow Iron Oxide, touches of diluted Quinacridone(Quin)Gold, Quin Red and Quin Burnt Orange and Sap Green.  Once dry I began to wash over again with Prussian Blue Hue.

To sculpt his horns and eye,I used a pallet knife and white modelling paste and a dotting tool.

I Painted the whole background with white Gesso, then with a mixture of the red and gold paints used in step 1.

I applied Carbon Black paint to his horns. Then a mixture of red, gold, black and white to his eye. I also added more gold highlights to the fiery background and touches to the horns.

To give his eye a glassy look and add dimension I added liquid glass.

I worked on his eye a bit more, adding more crackle, and some then began working on the horns, adding PVA glue to start with (see info further down about what else I added to the glue).I also gave him some sparkly knashers to bite with....
 




Around his horns I added Cosmic Shimmer Glue, then Stampendous  Aged Ochre and Spice embossing enamels and melted them with a heat gun. When you heat this glue it bubbles up ad gives a texture I love, especially when melting embossing powders, etc to it! Some specks got onto other areas, I was fine with that.



And here is finished Dennis the Dragon...a bit buckled, after all he is only on a bit of scrap cardboard, and I used a lot of wet products and watery washes. Maybe I'll have a go again some time on canvas.
Thanks for looking.
Suz
xxx




11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah, he was good fun to make. :-) x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Dennis looks magnificent, fabulous step by step too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment Karin.:-) x

      Delete
  3. Suz, I love the way Dennis has turned out and thanks for the fabulous tutorial. Looking forward to seeing you again at Dare 2 Cate in June xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, my pleasure! Looking forward to seeing you too! Not long now. :-) x

      Delete
  4. Love Dennis :) Fab tutorial too hun. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely FABULOUS Suz... WOW WOW WOW.... I'm in LOVE with Dennis. Xj.

    ReplyDelete